Date: Saturday, September 10, 2016
The RAC Annual General Meeting is now underway. You can follow along via Twitter using #RACAGM VIA @RACTWEETS, @VE3XRA, @SONRA and more…
Here are some photos via Twitter #RACAGM…
RAC President Glenn MacDonell, VE3XRA, is now addressing RAC members at the #RACAGM.
RAC President Glenn MacDonnell, VE3XRA, has arrived in Newfoundland for tomorrow’s Annual General Meeting and the Heart’s Content Cable Station 150th Anniversary Hamfest.
Complete details are provided below and on the AGM page. Don’t forget to register for the Webinar (see below; deadline is 1800hrs tonight).
The Radio Amateurs of Canada is pleased to hold its Annual General Meeting (AGM) in Heart’s Content in Newfoundland. The AGM event will be held in conjunction with the Heart’s Content Cable Station 150th Anniversary Hamfest which is being sponsored by the Society of Newfoundland Radio Amateurs (SONRA), the Baccalieu Amateur Radio Klub (BARK) and the Upper Trinity Amateur Radio Club (UTARC). All RAC members are encouraged to attend the Annual General Meeting. If you cannot attend the meeting in person there will also be a Webinar which RAC members can attend remotely.
For more information on the 150th Anniversary Hamfest please see the article below and visit the Society of Newfoundland Radio Amateur’s website.
Date: Saturday, September 10
Time: 1:00 pm (Newfoundland Daylight Saving Time)
Place: The Annual General Meeting will be held at the Heart’s Content Cable Station Provincial Historic Site, which is located on Highway 80 in Heart’s Content about 90 minutes from St. John’s, Newfoundland.
Online Webinar Pre-Registration (required) and Question Submission (forms close on September 9 at 1800hrs)
Agenda items will include:
- Report of the President
- Review of the 2015 finances
- Appointment of auditors for 2016
- Amendment to RAC Constitution (see the text below)
- Question and Answer period
This is your opportunity to hear what your representatives have been doing over the past year, to raise questions, and to make suggestions about how RAC is managed and where it is going in the future. The meeting will be attended by some of the members of the RAC Board of Directors and Executive and is open to all RAC members. In addition there will be a planned Webinar which RAC members can attend remotely. Details on how to connect to the Webinar will be published on the RAC website.
Constitutional Change Notice
The RAC Executive has reviewed the governance structure of Radio Amateurs of Canada and the proposed changes are provided below. No changes will be made without first presenting them to the RAC membership at the Annual General Meeting which will be held on September 10, 2016.
It is the recommendation of the RAC Board of Directors:
1) That the by-laws be amended to permit any required voting of members to take place electronically provided that at least 10 votes are received.
2) That the by-laws relating to Notice of Meetings be simplified to read as follows (changes from the current shown by italics):
Notice of any annual or special meeting of members and a summary of the purposes of the meeting containing enough information to allow a reasoned decision, shall be published in the organization’s official publication, and may be sent electronically to the members not more than 60 days and not less than 21 days prior to the date of the meeting.
Any vote of the members to be conducted may be in paper or electronic means in the specific form and fashion to be determined from time to time by the Board of Directors. The sending of any notices to the members may, unless a form and fashion are specifically prescribed by the Act, be in paper or electronic means in the specific form and fashion to be determined from time to time by the Board of Directors. In the case of any notices sent to members, the Corporation may rely on the last physical or electronic address that a member has given notice of.
3) That the by-laws relating to the method of election of Directors be simplified to read:
From time to time the Board of Directors shall establish a procedure for the election or appointment of Directors in each of the regions. Such procedure shall include:
- the establishment of a committee to oversee any election comprising no less than 3 members;
- a solicitation of nominations from among the members of a period of no less than 30 days
- nominations shall require the support of no fewer than the number of members in good standing established by the committee based on the size of the region and the distribution of members
- the provision of information on the background of nominations
- the conduct of the vote in paper or electronic means as determined
- the declaration as elected of a sole nominee when the period for nominations closes; and
- in the event that no nominations are received, the ability of the Board to appoint someone for the region
4) That the by-laws relating to filling vacancies on the Board of Directors be amended to allow the Board to fill any vacancy if no one is nominated for the position. Preference in such an appointment will be given to someone who has most recently served as the Deputy Director for the region concerned.
5) That the by-laws relating to Assistant Directors and Deputy Directors be amended to confirm that such offices are appointed by the Director concerned and that when such Director vacates their office, all positions of Assistant Director and Deputy Director are continued subject to a new appointment by a new Director.
For information: No other changes are currently proposed. Issues relating to term limits and regional distribution of Directors and the appointment of officers were considered. However, at present, no other changes are proposed.
At the 2016 Annual General Meeting, RAC members who are in attendance will be invited to vote on and give final approval to the special resolution.
I look forward to your attendance.
Glenn MacDonell, VE3XRA
President – Radio Amateurs of Canada
The Society of Newfoundland Radio Amateurs (SONRA), Baccalieu Amateur Radio Klub (BARK) and the Upper Trinity Amateur Radio Club (UTARC) are pleased to host the RAC Annual General Meeting on Saturday, September 10 as part of the Heart’s Content Cable Station 150th Anniversary Hamfest.
Place: The Heart’s Content Cable Station in historic Heart’s Content, the site of the first permanent transatlantic cable coming ashore from Europe in 1866. The Cable Station is 90 minutes west of St John’s, Newfoundland along the Trans-Canada Highway.
Time: Doors open to the public and vendors at 9 am.
Featured events include:
- Tours of the Museum
- Amateur Radio Presentations
- Lunch compliments of SONRA
- Coffee compliments of BARK and UTARC
- RAC Annual General Meeting at 1 pm
- An evening social at Doug Mercer, VO1DM’s summer residence in Green’s Harbour on Route 80 (30 minutes from the Hamfest). The event is BYOB.
Cost: $15 per person; The evening social is BYOB.
Talkin: VO1GT 146.940- or VO1TCR 146.970-
For more information please contact Doug, VO1DM, at or visit https://www.sonra.ca.