Thank you for another great response to our Advanced Qualification Amateur Radio Course for RAC Maple Leaf Operators. The class will be beginning soon so registration has been closed. We are now working on a summer Basic Qualification Amateur Radio Course and should have some information soon.
RAC Maple Leaf Operator Member Online Course
Note: The RAC Advanced Qualification Amateur Radio course for RAC Maple Leaf Operator Members will be starting soon so registration has been closed.
In response to the global pandemic, Radio Amateurs of Canada is once again offering an online Advanced Qualification Amateur Radio Course so that individuals can upgrade their qualifications while continuing to practise social/physical distancing. With your Advanced Certificate, you can run higher power, operate a remotely-controlled station, obtain operating privileges when travelling overseas, set up repeaters, be the trustee for club stations and even become an Accredited Examiner (AE). Please see the information provided below.
A Basic Qualification Amateur Radio Course will also once again be conducted with the assistance of the Annapolis Valley Amateur Radio Club (AVARC) of Nova Scotia. We anticipate that the next Basic course will start in mid-August. Registration for the Basic course is not yet available and we are not keeping a waitlist. We will be sending out a RAC bulletin as soon as the information becomes available and also posting it on the RAC website.
Advanced Course information:
The course will be 10 sessions in length and each session will be two hours long.
In order to offer maximum flexibility, we will be running two Advanced courses so students will be able to choose one of the following two options:
- Sunday afternoons from 3 pm to 5 pm EDT (12 pm PDT) starting on Sunday, July 5 and ending on Sunday, September 6
- Monday evenings from 8:30 pm to 10:30 pm EDT (5:30 PDF) starting on Monday, July 6 and ending on Monday, September 7
Advanced Course Requirements:
Requirements for RAC Advanced Course for Maple Leaf Operators: Summer 2020
The RAC Advanced Qualification Amateur Radio course is being offered at no charge to RAC Maple Leaf Operator Members – both current and future as described below.
Participants in the course will need to meet all of the following requirements:
- Participants must already have the Canadian Basic Amateur Radio Qualification and a Canadian call sign.
- Participants must already be a RAC Maple Leaf Operator Member or become one by joining RAC at the Maple Leaf Operator level or upgrading to that level.
- Participants must have a copy of the Canadian Amateur Radio Advanced Qualification Study Guide provided by Coax Publications. For more information please visit the RAC Study Guides webpage.
- Participants must have a computer and Internet connection capable of using the GoToMeeting (GTM) conference platform. You do not need your own account on GTM to take part in this course, but you will have to download an applet from the GTM site to participate.
- Participants must have a working email address to receive course materials and links to the sessions.
There is room on the conference server for 200 participants in each session. Auditors are welcome to attend on a space-available basis, provided they are RAC Maple Leaf Operator members.
The course instructor is Dave Goodwin, VE9CB. Dave has been an Amateur since 1975, is an active HF Contester and DXer and has many other interests in Amateur Radio. Since 2015, Dave has been teaching Basic and Advanced certification courses with the Fredericton (NB) Amateur Radio Club. He is also RAC’s Atlantic Director.
As indicated above, the course will be offered at no charge to RAC Maple Leaf Operator Members – both current and future. We are able to provide the course at no charge because the instructors are donating their time.
If you are not currently a RAC Maple Leaf Operator Member and you would like to register for the online course you will need to sign up with RAC as a Maple Leaf Operator Member (Bronze, Silver or Gold) by going to the RAC Membership Sign Up webpage.
Note: For more information about the benefits of becoming a RAC Maple Leaf Operator Member please visit: https://www.rac.ca/maple-leaf-operator/
Course registration is now closed!
Thank you for another great response to our Advanced Qualification Amateur Radio Course for RAC Maple Leaf Operators. The class will be beginning soon so registration has been closed.
We are now working on a summer Basic Qualification Amateur Radio Course and should have some information soon.