Site Map

Contact RAC

Join RAC



  Log Into Members' Section  
Register Mbr. No.: Password: Forgot your password?

RAC Logo Amateur Radio Certificate Information for Canadians
RAC Logo Canada/USA Reciprocal Operation
RAC Logo OH2MCN's Information on Licensing in Other Countries
RAC Logo Operation in Foreign Countries
RAC Logo Information on Operation in Mexico (N9VIU)
RAC Logo Information on Operation In Mexico (WD9EWK)
RAC Logo Foreign Amateurs Wishing to Operate in Canada
RAC Logo RIC-9 - Call Sign Policy and Special Event Prefixes 
RAC Logo RIC-3 - Information on the Amateur Radio Service

Q - I am planning to take a trip to the USA. What do I have to do to be able to operate in the USA?

A - Under the Reciprocal Operating Agreement, no formal approval is required. Take your Canadian Certificate with you. Familiarize yourself with the U.S. sub-band allocations as you must operate within them while in the USA.

Q -  I am a Canadian citizen with Basic and 5 wpm Qualifications. To avoid the need to sign "portable W4" when I spend the winter in the US, I obtained an FCC General license. That allows me to operate on 20 Meters above 14.200 MHz. Can I use my Canadian call sign whenever I want to operate down to 14.150 MHz?

A - No. Once you have an FCC license, the FCC expects you to operate under that licence and within the band limits of that licence while you are in the United States. Unless you are able to acquire an FCC Extra Class licence, which gives you full privileges, a Canadian in the United States is required to comply with the sub band restrictions for the class of US licence held. This may not be a good tradeoff to avoid signing "portable W4". You cannot mix and match Canadian and American licences to select operating privileges.

Q - I am going on a trip to Europe. Is there a licence which will allow me to operate in different European countries?

A - Yes. Canadian radio amateurs may now obtain a CEPT (Conférence Européenne des Administrations des Postes et Télécommunications ) permit which authorizes operation in signatory countries and with privileges commensurate with the European equivalent to your Canadian Amateur Radio Certificate. Detailed information is available on this web site on the CEPT page.

Q - I am planning a trip to countries in ITU Region II other than the USA. Is there a licence which will allow me to operate in them without having to obtain individual permission?

A - Canadian radio amateurs may obtain an IARP (International Amateur Radio Permit) which authorizes operation in those Organization of American States (OAS) countries which have signed the IARP Convention. For those countries which have not signed, Canadian amateurs will have to obtain separate licences for those having reciprocal agreements with Canada. Detailed information is available on this web site on the IARP and Reciprocal Licensing pages.

Q - Where can I obtain information on getting a licence in non-CEPT and non-IARP countries?

A - See the pages on this web site concerning Reciprocal Operating agreements and Operation in Foreign Countries.