Site Map

Contact RAC

Join RAC



  Log Into Members' Section  
Register Mbr. No.: Password: Forgot your password?

RAC Logo Canadian Amateurs Wishing to Operate Abroad
RAC Logo Information on licensing in other countries courtesy OH2MCN
RAC Logo Operation in Foreign Countries
RAC Logo More CEPT Information
RAC Logo More IARP Information

Q - I am going on a trip to Europe. Is there a licence which will allow me to operate in different European countries?

A - Yes. Canadian radio amateurs may now obtain a CEPT permit which, in combination with your Canadian licence, permits operation in signatory countries and with privileges commensurate with the European equivalent to your Canadian Amateur Radio Certificate. Detailed information is available on this web site on the CEPT page.

Q - What does CEPT stand for?

A - CEPT is the abbreviation for the "Conférence Européenne des Administrations des Postes et télécommunications", translated as European Conference of Postal and Telecommunications Administrations.

Q - If one has such a permit, is that piece of paper valid in all of the countries participating?

A - A CEPT Permit is valid in the CEPT member countries that participate in CEPT Recommendation T/R 61-01, which is the one that allows reciprocal operation for visitors. However, not all CEPT member countries participate in the Recommendation. Detailed information is available on this web site on the CEPT page.

Q - Is it necessary to make any other arrangements with the country or countries in which a Canadian licensee with a CEPT permit wishes to operate?

A - It is not known if there are any CEPT countries for which other arrangements are needed except Monaco.  You should  check the site on the internet about Information on licensing in other countries prepared by OH2MCN.  It is the most current and best source of information of which we are aware.  Remember, however, that in another country you are subject to their regulations, including band and subband limitations. Canadian regulations do not apply.

Q - How long is such a permit valid?

A - A CEPT permit is valid for a period of one year from the date of issue. If you are going to be away over the expiry date, renew your permit early so that it will be valid throughout your stay. Take your certificate as well as the CEPT permit with you when you travel.
Your permit will be for CEPT Class I or II depending on the Canadian certificates you hold.

Q - How does the holder of such a permit identify in the U.K.?

A - If your Canadian call is VA5XYZ, while operating in the UK you would sign M/VA5XYZ. On SSB you would say, "Mike, stroke, VA5XYZ". If in Scotland or Wales, you would use the MM or MW prefix as appropriate.

Q - Are there any non-European countries other than Canada which participate in CEPT Recommendation T/R 61-01 and in which a Canadian CEPT Permit would be valid?

A - The USA also participates, but Canadians operating in the US do not need a CEPT permit because of the Canada-US Reciprocal Operating Agreement. A number of other non-CEPT countries also participate in this Recommendation, but whether they accept Canadian CEPT permits or not depends upon their local requirements. Australia and New Zealand have general or class licences for visiting amateurs and Canadian CEPT permits are accepted according to these licences. The corresponding situation in the other non-CEPT countries that participate in T/R 61-01 is not known to RAC. Canadian amateurs planning to visit one of those countries should check with the authorities in that country.