From: RAC Headquarters
Date: May 9, 2001
Subject: CARAB 16 Meeting in Cornwall
Radio Amateurs of Canada met with Industry Canada officials
at the semi-annual spring meeting of the Canadian Amateur
Radio Advisory Board (CARAB) in Cornwall, ON. on April
The following were highlights of the meeting.
- Industry Canada confirmed that a Canada Gazette notice will
soon be released with regard to reducing the 12 wpm code
requirement to 5 wpm for full HF operating privileges.
- Industry Canada has found and corrected errors in the new
automatic exam generator. There still may be some minor
problems to be corrected in the next version.
- Industry Canada and RAC are working toward reciprocal
operating agreements with Hong Kong, Thailand and bringing
operating agreements with other countries up-to-date.
- Industry Canada and RAC agreed that amateurs should be well
aware of Radio Frequency Fields (RFF) and have an
understanding of the application of Health Canada's Safety Code
6. Industry Canada and RAC are also working to ensure the
public and amateur operators have access to information on this
- Discussions on enforcement of the radio regulations continue.
Industry Canada has limited resources and therefore highly
depend on Amateurs to be responsible operators capable of
resolving internal disputes. For further information visit
More details of the discussions will be published in the CARAB
16 meeting minutes and provided at a later date on the Industry
Canada website http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/SSG/sf01778e.html