On Saturday, April 18, 2020 (1200Z to 2359Z), Radio Amateurs of Canada is organizing a special on-air event to celebrate World Amateur Radio Day.
Every year on April 18, Radio Amateurs worldwide take to the airwaves in celebration of Amateur Radio and to commemorate the formation of the International Amateur Radio Union (IARU) on April 18, 1925.
Radio Amateurs of Canada has decided to hold a new “Get on the Air on World Amateur Radio Day” special event in which we encourage as many Amateurs as possible to get on the air and contact as many RAC stations as possible.
- RAC official stations will operate across Canada from 1200Z to 2359Z on April 18. The RAC official station call signs are VA2RAC, VA3RAC, VE1RAC, VE4RAC, VE5RAC, VE6RAC, VE7RAC, VE8RAC, VE9RAC, VO1RAC, VO2RAC, VY0RAC, VY1RAC and VY2RAC.
- Those contacting one or more of these stations will be eligible for a special commemorative certificate noting their participation in RAC’s Get on the Air on World Amateur Radio Day Event.
- Participants simply need to complete one or more contacts, on any band and mode, with RAC official stations to earn their certificates.
- No logs need to be submitted, simply check back on the RAC website after May 1, 2020 and enter your call sign to download your certificate.
Note: Starting at 1800Z, VA3RAC will be active in the Ontario QSO Party and will be sending the contest exchange. Stations contacting VA3RAC after 1800Z are encouraged to send their contest exchange in return (state/province/country or Ontario county).
Thank you for your continued support and understanding during this time of crisis. Please take care of yourself and your loved ones. Stay safe and, wherever possible, let us help one another during this extraordinary time.
For more information on World Amateur Radio Day and the RAC “Get on the Air on World Amateur Radio Day” special event please visit: https://www.rac.ca/operating/world-amateur-radio-day-april-18/
The theme of World Amateur Radio Day (WARD) is “Celebrating Amateur Radio’s contribution to Society” and this is especially relevant given the important role Amateur Radio will play as the current global crisis unfolds.
IARU President Tim Ellam, VE6SH, provided the following message:
“As I write this the world is in the midst of battling the COVID-19 crisis. A few short weeks ago many of us could not imagine the levels of isolation that we are now dealing with and the sacrifices of many on the frontlines of the pandemic. As we have done in past challenges to our society, Amateur Radio will play a key part in keeping people connected and assisting those who need support.
Having come off my own 14-day isolation after returning from an overseas trip, I am touched by the kindness of strangers who assisted me when I was unable to leave my house. It strikes me Amateur Radio operators, who give so much during these times of crisis, are not limited to assisting over the air. Amateurs are true volunteers and I would encourage everyone to assist in the community as they are able to.
Journée mondiale de la radio amateur: 18 avril 2020
- Les stations officielles de RAC fonctionneront à travers le Canada de 1200Z à 2359Z le 18 avril. Les indicatifs des stations officielles de RAC sont VA2RAC, VA3RAC, VE1RAC, VE4RAC, VE5RAC, VE6RAC, VE7RAC, VE8RAC, VE9RAC, VO1RAC, VO2RAC, VY0RAC, VY1RAC et VY2RAC.
- Les personnes qui contacteront une ou plusieurs de ces stations seront éligibles pour un certificat commémoratif spécial notant leur participation à l’événement de la Journée mondiale de la radio amateur de RAC.
- Les participants doivent simplement compléter un ou plusieurs contacts, sur n’importe quelle bande et mode, avec les stations officielles de RAC pour gagner leurs certificats.
- Aucun journal ne doit être soumis, revenez simplement sur le site Web de RAC après le 1er mai 2020 et entrez votre indicatif d’appel pour télécharger votre certificat.