The annual in-person International Amateur Radio Union (IARU) Region 2 Executive Committee meeting was held in Panama City, Panama, on October 12-14.
The following IARU representatives were at the meeting (from left to right):
- IARU International Secretariat Secretary: Dave Sumner, K1ZZ (observer)
- Area G Director: Ernesto Syriani, LU8AE
- Area F Director: Gustavo de Faria Franco, PT2ADM
- Area E Director: Noel E. Donawa, 9Y4X
- Vice-President and Area C Director: Ramón Santoyo V., XE1KK
- IARU Region 2 President: Reinaldo Leandro, YV5AM
- Secretary and Area D Director: José Arturo Molina, YS1MS
- Area A Director: George Gorsline, VE3YV
- IARU Region 2 Band Planning Committee Chairman: Alphonse Penney, VO1NO/VA1AVR (observer)
- Treasurer and Area B Director: Jay Bellows, K0QB
At the meeting, the reports of the Officers, Area Directors and Coordinators were read and analyzed, and the situation of each area and of member societies was discussed. Special emphasis was placed on the issues to be discussed at the upcoming World Radiocommunication Conference which will be held next year in Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt from October 28 to November 22.
Another event that was widely commented on was the next Region 2 General Assembly, which will be held in Lima, Peru, in the second half of 2019, at which an emergency communications workshop will also be provided. The participants welcomed this event.
Given that Panama was the venue of the meeting, Region 2 officers were able to meet with local telecommunications authorities and with officers of the Member Society (LPRA) and colleagues to exchange points of view about the local situation.
All participants were satisfied with the results of the meeting; they also commented on the good results of the periodic virtual meetings and reiterated their commitment to continue working in favour of their respective areas and of Amateur Radio.
For more information:
International Amateur Radio Union:
IARU Region 2:
IARU R2 Executive Committee Meeting:
World Radiocommunication Conference 2019: