The following information is courtesy of the Scouts JOTA-JOTI website:
JOTA-JOTI is the world’s largest digital Scout event taking place online and over the air. This year’s event takes place on the weekend of October 18-20.
The educational event brings together more than 2 million Scouts every year in October for a weekend of Scouting and friendship. Young people can learn about communications technology and connect with fellow Scouts from over 170 countries.
This offers an excellent opportunity for young Radio Amateurs to inspire young Scouts with the charms of radio techniques and for Scouts to share their world with Radio Amateurs of (nearly) their own age.
Jamboree-On-The-Air (JOTA) is an annual Scouting event that uses Amateur Radio to link Scouts around the world, around Canada, and in your own community.
Jamboree-On-The-Air and Jamboree-On-The-Internet (JOTA-JOTI) is an official international event of the World Organization of the Scout Movement (WOSM). JOTA-JOTI is a youth program event intended for young people in Scouting of all ages.
The purpose of JOTA-JOTI is to enable and encourage Scouts around the world to communicate with one another by means of Amateur Radio and the Internet, providing a fun and educational Scouting experience and promoting their sense of belonging to a worldwide Scout Movement. At world level, JOTA-JOTI is coordinated by the World JOTA-JOTI Team (WJJT), led by a World JOTA-JOTI Coordinator (WJJC). The WJJT reports to the World Scout Committee and is supported by the World Scout Bureau.
JOTA-JOTI related activities take place simultaneously all around the world each year during the third weekend in October. The program for JOTA-JOTI consists both of activities developed at world level and initiatives developed at national and local level, supported by National JOTA-JOTI Coordinators and their respective teams.
- JOTA-JOTI is a fun and exciting experience for young people in Scouting.
- JOTA-JOTI seeks to promote quality Scouting in a manner faithful to the purpose, principles and method of Scouting and consistent with the needs and aspirations of young people in today’s world.
- JOTA-JOTI strives for a meaningful engagement of as many young people from as many parts of the world as possible.
- JOTA-JOTI is an occasion to celebrate Scouting and to generate positive energy to support the development of the Scout Movement.
- Promote Scouts’ sense of belonging to the worldwide Scout Movement.
- Promote peace, cultural awareness, tolerance, sharing, collaboration and to encourage good deeds and active citizenship.
- Provide opportunities for the development of teamwork and leadership skills through patrol-based activities.
- Provide exciting opportunities for young people to explore technology and to develop technical skills.
- Promote innovation and creativity.
Held on the third full weekend of October each year, this worldwide jamboree requires no travel, other than to a nearby Amateur Radio shack, Scout meeting place, camp or community centre.
JOTA started in 1958 (with the World JOTA Bureau located right here in Ottawa, Canada). In 1997, communicating through the Internet was added, and this was called Jamboree on the Internet or JOTI for short. Both annual events are sanctioned and sponsored by the World Organization of the Scouting Movement. In short, it’s the best way to talk to half a million Scouts and Guides without having to leave your own community!
Scouts Official JOTA website: https://jotajoti.info/
ARRL website: https://www.arrl.org/jamboree-on-the-air-jota