On February 24, 2017, a new Regulation for Radio Amateurs in Uruguay came into force. The new rules are being updated accordingly with international regulations and developments.
Radio Club Uruguayo highlights the following improvements:
- The bands and the sub-bands are adopted according to the recently updated IARU R2 band plan.
- New bands are authorized:
- 660m from 472 to 479 kHz
- 60m from 5,351.5 to 5,366.5
- 6mm from 47 to 47.2 GHz
- 4mm from 77.5 to 78 GHz
- Frequency allocation is extended on 80m from 3,500 to 4,000 kHz and on 160m from 1,800 to 2,000 kHz
- New Amateur Radio bands are allocated in SHF (microwaves) and reserved them for future Amateur Radio satellites.
- It creates the category "Beginner" (novices) giving new Amateurs the possibility of easy access.
- Exam questionnaires have been updated, eliminating technical questions (circuits) and replacing them with current issues and operating procedures.
- It creates a training program for new Radio Amateurs with mandatory operational practice on 80, 40, 10 and 2 metres.
- CV and CW prefixes are now available for permanent licences.
- The maximum emission power for the “Superior” category is set at 1500W PEP.
- The possibility of adding future digital and digital voice communications systems is left open.
- It establishes the procedures for foreigners to apply and renew their licences.
- Reciprocal permits are maintained for non-resident foreign Amateur Radio.
The official text of the new Regulation (available only in Spanish) can be found in the following link: https://goo.gl/CqYYZs
The Executive Committee of IARU Region 2 would like to congratulate Radio Club Uruguayo for it participation in the development of this new and avant-garde set of rules.