Close this search box.

For general information about operating internationally please visit the Operation in Foreign Countries webpage.

Here are some links that may help you:

Amateur Radio Certificate Information for Canadians RBR-4

Canada-US Reciprocal Operating Agreement

OH2MCN’s Worldwide Information on Licensing for Radio Amateurs

Information on Operation in Mexico (N9VIU)

Information on Operation In Mexico (WD9EWK)

Foreign Amateurs Wishing to Operate in Canada

RIC-9 – Call Sign Policy and Special Event Prefixes

RIC-3 – Information on the Amateur Radio Service

Q – I am planning to take a trip to the United States. What do I have to do to be able to operate there?

A – Under the Reciprocal Operating Agreement, no formal approval is required. Take your Canadian Certificate with you. Familiarize yourself with the US sub-band allocations as you must operate within them while in the US.

Q – I am a Canadian citizen with Basic and 5 wpm Qualifications. To avoid the need to sign “portable W4” when I spend the winter in the US, I obtained an FCC General licence. That allows me to operate on 20 metres above 14.200 MHz. Can I use my Canadian call sign whenever I want to operate down to 14.150 MHz?

A – No. Once you have an FCC licence, the FCC expects you to operate under that licence and within the band limits of that licence while you are in the US. Unless you are able to acquire an FCC Extra Class licence, which gives you full privileges, a Canadian in the US is required to comply with the sub-band restrictions for the class of US licence held. This may not be a good trade-off to avoid signing “portable W4”. You cannot mix and match Canadian and American licences to select operating privileges.

Q – I am going on a trip to Europe. Is there a licence which will allow me to operate in different European countries?

A – Yes. Canadian Radio Amateurs may now obtain a CEPT (Conférence Européenne des Administrations des Postes et Télécommunications ) permit which authorizes operation in signatory countries and with privileges commensurate with the European equivalent to your Canadian Amateur Radio Certificate. Detailed information is available on the CEPT page at: /cept-permits/

Q – I am planning a trip to countries in ITU Region II other than the US. Is there a licence which will allow me to operate in them without having to obtain individual permission?

A – Canadian Radio Amateurs may obtain an IARP (International Amateur Radio Permit) which authorizes operation in those Organization of American States (OAS) countries which have signed the IARP Convention. For those countries which have not signed, Canadian Amateurs will have to obtain separate licences for those having reciprocal agreements with Canada. Detailed information is available on this website on the IARP and Reciprocal Operating pages.

Q – Where can I obtain information on getting a licence in non-CEPT and non-IARP countries?

A – Visit the Reciprocal Operating webpage and the Operation in Foreign Countries webpage for information.