Registration for the RAC Advanced Course has now ended
Thank you for another great response to our Advanced Qualification Amateur Radio Course for RAC Maple Leaf Operators. The class has now started and the registration has been closed.
We are also now working on another Basic Qualification Amateur Radio Course which will begin sometime in January. Stay tuned to the RAC website for additional information.
RAC Maple Leaf Operator Member Online Course
In response to the global pandemic, Radio Amateurs of Canada is once again offering an online Advanced Qualification Amateur Radio Course so that individuals can upgrade their qualifications while continuing to practise social/physical distancing.
With your Advanced Certificate, you can run higher power, operate a remotely-controlled station, obtain operating privileges when travelling overseas, set up repeaters, be the trustee for club stations and even become an Accredited Examiner (AE). Please see the information provided below.
The course will be 10 sessions in length and each session will be two hours long.
In order to offer maximum flexibility, we will be running two Advanced courses so students will be able to choose one of the following two options:
- Sunday afternoons from 3 pm to 5 pm EDT (12 pm PDT) starting on Sunday, October 4, 2020 ending on Sunday, January 3, 2021
- Monday evenings from 8:30 pm to 10:30 pm EDT (5:30 PDT) starting on Monday, October 5, 2020 and ending on Monday, January 4, 2021.
Note: There will be no sessions on Thanksgiving weekend, the weekend after Christmas or during the weekends of the CQ WW DX SSB and CW contests as follows: October 11 and 12; October 25 and 26; November 29 and 30; and December 27 and 28.
The RAC Advanced Qualification Amateur Radio course is being offered at no charge to RAC Maple Leaf Operator Members – both current and future as described below.
Participants in the course will need to meet all of the following requirements:
- Participants must already have the Canadian Basic Certificate of Proficiency in Amateur Radio and a Canadian call sign.
- Participants must already be a RAC Maple Leaf Operator Member or become one by joining RAC at the Maple Leaf Operator level or upgrading to that level.
- Participants must have a copy of the Canadian Amateur Radio Advanced Qualification Study Guide provided by Coax Publications. For more information please visit the RAC Study Guides webpage.
- Participants must have a computer and Internet connection capable of using the GoToMeeting (GTM) conference platform. You do not need your own account on GTM to take part in this course, but you will have to download an applet from the GTM site to participate.
- Participants must have a working email address to receive course materials and links to the sessions.
There is room on the conference server for 200 participants in each session. Advanced Amateurs who are RAC Maple Leaf Operator members are welcome to audit the course on a space-available basis..
The course instructor is Dave Goodwin, VE9CB. Dave has been an Amateur since 1975, is an active HF Contester and DXer and has many other interests in Amateur Radio. Since 2015, Dave has been teaching Basic and Advanced certification courses with the Fredericton (NB) Amateur Radio Club. He is also RAC’s Atlantic Director.
As indicated above, the course will be offered at no charge to RAC Maple Leaf Operator Members – both current and future. We are able to provide the course at no charge because the instructors are donating their time.
Important note: If you are not currently a RAC Maple Leaf Operator Member and you would like to register for the online course you will first need to sign up with RAC as a Maple Leaf Operator Member (Bronze, Silver or Gold) by going to the RAC Membership Sign Up webpage.
Note: For more information about the benefits of becoming a RAC Maple Leaf Operator Member please visit: https://www.rac.ca/maple-leaf-operator/
Thank you for your interest in the advanced course. The registration has been closed.